Play for toddlers is one of the most important things at that point of their lives. Here, they are at that point of trying to discover the world using their senses, and the more that they are exposed, the faster that their senses develop. We are going to go through some of the important reasons why play is important for toddlers and the different types of play. As we all know, play is important because it contributes to the cognitive, physical, social, and emotional well-being of children and youth.
Importance of Play
Play is important for children because it helps them to:
- Build their confidence
- Feel loved, happy and safe
- Develop social skills, language and communication
- Learn about caring for others and the environment
- Develop physical skills
Different types of play
This is the sort of play that is determined by what the child is interested in at the moment. It is not planned and the child gets to use their imagination at their own pace.
Examples of unstructured play might be:
- Creative play alone or with others, including artistic or musical games
- Imaginative games such as making houses from boxes or blankets, dressing up or playing make-believe
- Exploring new or favorite play spaces like cupboards, backyards, parks, playgrounds and so on
One can either chose to take part in their child’s play, pointing them in the right direction, or can let them play as per their desire. You can let them play with things like crayons and toys amongst other things.
Structured play is different in the sense that it is organized and happens at a fixed time or in a set space, and is often led by a grown-up.
Examples of structured play include:
- Water familiarization classes for toddlers, or swimming lessons for older children. To the parent, these look like important lessons, but for the child, they are fun activities.
- Storytelling groups for toddlers and preschoolers at the local library
- Dance, music or drama classes for children of all ages
- Family board or card games
- Modified sports for slightly older children, like cricket, basketball, netball, Rugby, and soccer
We are now going to take a look at the best teepees for toddlers, which can be fun for the toddlers to imagine themselves in their own houses on some adventure or the other. These are excellent gifts for children, and we are going to review five of some of the best ones to be found on the market.
The Pacific Play Authentic Teepee Tent
Perfect for Indoor or Outdoor Fun
The Authentic Teepee Tent has walls and floor made of durable and soft cotton canvas with five sturdy support poles. The teepee features a T-style flap door that ties open and a mesh back window with flap cover for peekaboo and ventilation. The authentic teepee will stimulate your child’s imagination. At 56 inches, tall the teepee will easily fit indoors. Use it on carpet or hardwood floors without a scratch, thanks to the attached cotton canvas floor.
Imagination Is the Limit
The Authentic Teepee is a great place to hide, play games, crawl around, or take a nap. It’s great fun for a few, a single child, or for an entire neighborhood. Play games in the tent or use it as ‘base’ in a game of tag. During the summer months put it in the yard for a ground level hide-out or fort. With a child’s imagination, anything is possible with this teepee.
- Measures 45” x 45” x 56” high.
- Soft, durable cotton canvas – flame retardant.
- Full fabric floor.
- Sturdy wood support poles.
- Window flap with cover.
- Sets up in minutes for indoor/outdoor fun.
- Cleans easily with a damp cloth.
- For ages 3 and up.
- Adult assembly.
Santé Fe Giant Teepee – by Pacific Play
Pacific Play Tents Santé Fe Giant Tee Pee will stimulate your child’s imagination and give them hours of playtime fun! This 36-inch X 36-inch X 67-inches high teepee features mesh windows, zippered door, tunnel hole with flap and great colorful graphics. The durable, polyethylene floor cleans up easily with a damp cloth and mild soap. The shock-corded poles make this tee pee easy to assemble. Carry bag included.
- Tent size: 36″ X 36″ X 67″ high, Imagination stimulating graphics
- Large enough to accommodate three or more friends, toys and kid-sized furniture
- Encourages physical play and stimulates the imagination at any time of the day
- Durable 190T polyester taffeta fabric with waterproof floor
- Carry bag included
6′ Cotton Canvas Toddler Teepee
Enjoy years of creative fun! With 6-pole construction, heavy canvas and metal fittings, this teepee play tent stands up to rigorous play. It even has an integrated floor for use both inside and out.
Let their imaginations soar in our teepees for kids from New Home Innovations. They’re free to enjoy an old-fashioned game of cowboys and Indians, explore the wilds of the backyard, host a pretend campout, or close the flap for a “secret” club meeting. Kids four and up will love having a space to call their own, and you’ll appreciate the quality construction and how easy it is to set up.
At just under 6 feet tall and 35 inches at the base, it’s large enough for even bigger kids, while still small enough to remain portable. You can set it up in a playroom, a child’s bedroom or even outside on a warm day for hours of imaginative fun.
Your New Home Innovations Child Teepee Play tent comes with 6 eucalyptus poles and features metal connectors so you won’t have to worry about warped poles or broken plastic fittings. Not only that, but with 6 poles rather than the standard 4 or 5, this is one play tent that will stand up to energetic kids. There’s even a built-in window with flap and a canvas floor to keep the inside of the tent clean without purchasing a separate mat.
- 6 eucalyptus poles sourced from well managed forests
- 230 gsm canvas
- Carry bag
- Window with flap
- Bunting and glow-in-the-dark stars included
- 1-year warranty
- For indoor or outdoor use
- Canvas floor
- Metal fittings
- Measures 65 x 50 inches
Kid Craft Canvas Teepee tent
Add a little excitement to your child’s bedroom with one of the brand-new Teepees. These toys stand at over three-and-a-half feet tall and were built to last.
- Mesh window allows parents to look in and kids to look out
- Quick assembly – just a few easy steps and you’re ready!
- Not designed to be used outdoors
- Packaged with detailed; step-by-step assembly instructions
Dexton 6′ Great Plains Teepee
Encourage creative play with this 6 foot Great Plains Tee Pee. Great for both teachers and families, this tee pee comes with Native American patterns to help with decoration. Easy to paint on the canvas with either latex or oil based paint. Water and fire resistant materials. Comes in Beige. 6-foot Tee Pee. Authentic Native American design for indoor-outdoor play. Made of water and fire resistant materials. Durable cotton canvas material. Easy to decorate with any permanent latex or oil based paint. Includes Native American patterns for decorating canvas. 5 ft. W x 6 ft. H.
- Made of water-repellent and fire-resistant material
- Durable cotton canvas
- Easy to setup
- Easy to decorate with oil or water based paints
- Complies to US Toy Safety Standards
It is important for young children to play as it helps their body development. The teepee tents that we have just reviewed above are some of the things that one can use to keep their children busy with play.